BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina Manager, Data Engineering in Durham, North Carolina
The Manager, Data Engineering will lead a data engineering and architecture team in Data and Analytics (DnA) Division. We are looking for an exceptional individual with cutting edge technologies experience who can guide the team to generate prepared data for self-service BI, automated reporting processes, interactive dashboards, and advanced analytic capabilities. In this role, you will be asked to take on variety of challenges, including the development, maintenance, and integrity of several large-scale data projects.
- To succeed, you will:
· Work with various groups in the enterprise to understand desired capabilities and continuously improve engineering practices.
· Demonstrate both effective people management and disciplined data engineering & architecture leadership.
· Bring passion and leading the team in the right direction
· Lead agile team with cutting edge technologies and support technical solution across a full-stack cloud technology with operational disciplines.
· Strive perfection and work in a fast pace environment.
· Direct data engineering team to deliver thought leadership and insights to the business by working effectively across the enterprise.
· Lead performance improvement initiatives providing value-added, actionable information to improve business efficiencies and accuracy in operational processes.
· Manage a team of data engineers and coordinate their support for enterprise projects and internal divisional projects.
· Define and implement best practices and standard operating procedures for the Data Engineering & Architecture team.
· Work collaboratively with all departments in the enterprise to mature our agile and devOps process of delivery. Work with key business partners and team members to develop business models, proposals and delivery methods that support the business unit’s goals and objectives.
· Support operational goals and metrics for the business based on past performance and current business strategies.
· Provide independence in reporting operational and performance metrics for the business units.
· Consult with the business units and provide data-based analysis to solve business problems and to improve effectiveness, efficiency, and accuracy of the operations.
· Work with Information Technology staff and other analytics areas across the enterprise to support and maintain a coordinated and efficient approach to analysis.
· Bachelor’s degree in Math, Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
· 3 year of experience below in healthcare industry:
· 7 years of SQL programming skills (Intermediate to Advance SQL programming skills)
· 7 years programming experience in Python, R or other programming language
· Demonstrated experience working with large and complex data sets
· Advance experience with business intelligence tools (Tableau)
· Experience leading large, complex data engineering projects
· 3 years formally leading teams
· Experience with Hadoop, Hive, and/or other Big Data technologies
· Experience with ETL or Data Pipeline tools.
· Experience with API’s and real time streaming.
· Experience with query and process optimization
· Experience working in AWS and/or using Linux based systems
· Advanced degree.
· Evidence of independent research, and analytical, problem solving skills.
· Documentation of programs and processes (suitable for internal and external communication).
· Demonstrated experience performing data validation on prepared data sets
· Demonstrated experience performing data modeling and database architecture
· Ability to translate task/business requirements into written technical requirements
· Reliable task estimation skills
· Excellent quantitative, problem solving and analytic skills
· Ability to document data pipeline architecture and design
· Ability to collaborate effectively with business stakeholders, performance consultants, data scientists, and other data engineers
· Proficient in use of MS Office applications, including expert level Excel programming
· Ability to quickly become expert in operational processes and data of lines of business
· Ability to troubleshoot and document findings and recommendations
· Comfortable briefing internal stakeholders on findings
· Proactively communicate risks and problems to leadership
· Ability to keep up with a rapidly evolving technology space
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work independently
· Commitment to data accuracy and integrity
· Excellent influencing and consultative skills
· The ability to develop and manage a customer-oriented, operationally efficient, technologically-advanced and team-based organization
· Experience moving a division from waterfall delivery to agile/devOps delivery.
· Demonstrates high level of flexibility to respond to rapidly changing business needs
It's an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we're leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care − in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.
Third Party Staffing Agencies
Blue Cross NC does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from recruiters/agencies if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specific position. Unsolicited resumes sent to Blue Cross NC from recruiters/agencies do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/agency and Blue Cross NC and do not obligate Blue Cross NC to pay fees if we hire from those resumes.